Saturday, December 12, 2015

Oh, where have you been, my darling young one?

59 Weeks


Dearest Ren,
My mother sent me a copy of The Giving Tree when I was in college. I was mad at her and not calling home very often and she was trying to stay connected. I still cringe when I read it. I've not even shared this classic with you even though we've a couple of copies of it in your kid library. I self publish many of my honest thoughts about being your mom in this blog, even the hard stuff, but I don't consider anything I've done for you or with you a sacrifice. I consider it a privilege. It's an honor to be your mom—to be given the task of explaining the rules of the world and helping you navigate them in your own time. I love you, son, as much as that Silverstein tree loves that little boy. I'd happily give you all of my leaves and branches. Just know it doesn't take anything away from my life that I give to yours. With every leaf I pass on to you, I feel two more grow back in it's place. Sometimes more. You inspire me to be better and stronger for you. For the world. Thank you for that. I'm grateful to you with all of my heart and soul and body as I know it. Even if you are slowly killing your father.
Always and forever,
Mommy

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha, don't be fooled Ren, your father reclined supine all the time back in the 90's! :D

    ReplyDelete